Early Release Meeting
The goal of this early release meeting is to determine the *** Classroom teachers’ definition of writing at the elementary level and to identify strengths and weaknesses within the Reading Streets program. My role as Curriculum Coordinator will help to provide support for staff in this area over the Early Release meetings this year. Specifically, I focused our discussion on writing-our own and the students.
1. pick up snack and water
2. select journal, folder, and pen (pretty new things along with snacks are good for starting teachers off feeling happy!)
3. staff divided in cross-grade level tables (check chart for table assignment)
4. small group definition of writing (large group share)
5. strengths and weaknesses of current writing program (large group share)
6. My Life in Seven Stories-If you could choose only 7 stories that define/reflect who you are and your life, what would a list of those stories be?
7. Write one of your stories
8. Discuss 6 + 1 Traits and how we will revisit our own stories to focus on one of the traits or a revision strategy each session
9. Voluntary interest groups sign-ups for different book studies (Daily Five and Lucy Calkins Units of Study for Primary Writing)
10. Door Prizes
Book Study groups:
Daily Five: Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades
great resource and very readable-like having a conversation with a friend. They also have a free and subscription website.